Tuesday, February 8, 2011

WSU Track update

by Kirk Hunter, WSU Cross Country and Distance Coach

In my anticipation to the upcoming Missouri Valley Conference Indoor Championships, I cannot help but reflect on the season that we have had so far. This is an amazing team of individuals, led by their leader Coach Rainbolt. I have enjoyed getting to know more of the team each day, and look forward to learning more about those that I watch compete every week. Audacia Moore is amazing. Her performances on the track can only be outdone by the person she seems to be off the track. The multi group, (which I will talk more about later) seem to be a family in itself, and competes at the highest level every time they step on the track. Dylan Hartnett continues to impress me with his 400/4 x 4 performances, while Jennifer Taylor has that ‘fire’ in her eyes when she lets loose on each of her races!!! There are sooo many more to mention, but not enough room to get it done here!!! What I enjoy most is the personalities; this team is full of them. I appreciate how the team has welcomed me in to their track family and how pleasant they are to talk to in person, but also how ferocious they are as competitors.

So far this season I have had the opportunity to coach at Nebraska, and two home track meets. I love track and field, every event, so to me, this is like a vacation each time out. I always enjoyed coaching the multi event groups, the throwers, and (and obviously the distance group!), so it has been nice to watch these athletes compete and practice day in and day out. WSU has some outstanding multi/hurdlers to say the least!! When they step on the track, look out! I also enjoy working with this staff. Coach Yost has unlimitless energy, which she showed me when I tried to keep up with her shoveling/raking pits at our home meet!! Coach Wise keeps us up to date on everything, conference standings, upcoming meets, recruiting, etc., etc., etc. Since I coached throws for 22 years, I really enjoy watching Coach Hetzendorf coach the throws group. He definitely knows his stuff, and more importantly knows how to pass that knowledge on to his athletes. I wish I would have known all the things he does all those years I coached the throwers! I also like watching Coach Wilson with the pole vaulters when I can. Thanks to him, our WSU women vaulters achieved some major vaults at our home meet last weekend. I like how he is laid back, but when it comes to competition, he expects people to compete! Obviously his style is working. Leading us all is Coach Rainbolt. He keeps things rolling the right direction. His expectation for his team are the same as ours, do what you can to be ready for conference, and give your best in everything you do. He supports everyone who is willing to put up the good fight. He expects excellence in the classroom, on the track, and in life, from everyone, what more can you ask.

Last, but definitely not least is my distance group. The ladies keep rolling along. They are such a wonderful group, and always try to do everything I ask them to do, even the “little things” that lead to any success we may ever have. If you ever talk to one of these ladies, you would see an individual who is humble, but when that gun goes off, will simply run you in the ground if they can!!! I LOVE their incredible desire to do what it takes to become the best they can be. Our men are no different. We have some very talented men on our team, and every person here will work their best to improve their performances. Sickness has hurt us a little recently, but if we maintain and do everything in our power to be ready, we will be an impact at conference!

This week we go to Iowa State with the ‘track’ people, while the field event people go to Air Force. It is considered a very big week for us. I expect big things from my group, and so do they. This leads us into conference, and hopefully puts us where we need to be. I have never been one to get too excited about any early season meets, but when we get to the ‘big’ ones, I change!!!! I have high expectations from my group, as do they. Tradition is important, and WSU has a tradition of being the best. I love being a part of that, and plan on doing my part to keep that tradition alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment