Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Coach Yost talks about the upcoming Intersquad Meet .....

By Jumps Coach Heidi Yost

As an alumni and current Assistant Coach of the Wichita State University Track and Field team, I feel it is part of my duty to make sure that the After Shocks team is well represented at the Intersquad Indoor Meet every year.
                      
If you are hearing about the Intersquad Meet for the first time let me give you a brief description. The Intersquad Meet is the brainchild of Assistant Coach John Wise.  He started it four years ago and it can be compared to a football or basketball scrimmage of sorts. Every year the incoming freshmen are drafted to a team (Black, Gold or White) by the captains/coaches of each team. This draft is similar to the NBA/NFL draft and once you are drafted to a team you remain on that team for your career, trades are possible but none have been made as of yet. Once you complete your eligibility for Wichita State University you are automatically a member of the Gray Squad which we have named “The After Shocks” and your eligibility for this team lasts a lifetime. The color and name is quite fitting if you ask me! We think this process is a lot of fun for our athletes and a great opportunity for alumni to meet up again with past teammates or introduce themselves to new member of the great shocker track and field tradition we have. This meet is also a good indicator of how well our team has prepared for the 2010-2011 season and a chance for the alumni to see “if they’ve still got it” whatever “it” may be. Every year the meet is contested on Study Day (the Friday before fall semester finals week starts). Some field events will get started around 2pm and it finishes within a few hours (the schedule will be posted on goshockers.com soon). We have tried to make this meet interesting so there are a few unconventional events, for example the overhead forward medball throw and an 8-10 person 200m relay. What was Coach Wise thinking?

Shocker Track and Field Fans/Spectators…
This is a great event that you are sure to have a great time watching. Our athletes really get into the spirit of it all and are looking forward to the opportunity to compete since they started practice at the beginning of September. The captains/coaches of each team get the opportunity to draft their new team members from a great pool of newcomers next week.

Calling all Alumni…
I am currently trying to get a calling brigade together to start contacting alumni for “The After Shocks.” As I mentioned before this is a great opportunity to meet up with past teammates, to meet some new alumni and get to know some of our current athletes and future After Shocks. I encourage all alumni to at least stop by to support the athletes competing, if you feel like testing your athletic abilities please contact me at hyost@goshockers.com. Remember… this is “just for fun” although… if any of you are like me you might find yourself in the heat of a battle once you’re put in a competitive situation. One more thing… my hopes are that the Intersquad meet is a way to stay connected to the great athletes we’ve had on this team. But that can only happen with your help. I need to get as much contact information as I possibly can on as many Shocker alumni as possible, I would appreciate any help with this process as you can give. Ok… one more thing I would also like to have a more significant social event for the alumni than what we have had in the past… any ideas would be helpful.

I am certainly looking forward to competing alongside the athletes that I coach (although I am sure I will get my butt kicked).  I’m also looking forward to seeing, talking, and getting to know some of my fellow “After Shocks.”
The Intersquad meet will be Friday, December 10th. Hope to see you there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment